Well, it was bound to happen. We finally found bones! Eek. So I guess this means a slightly greater chance it may be haunted, right? Those cool floors mentioned in the last post had to come up, which actually ended up being a good thing for several reasons. They really weren’t in good shape, are not hardwood after all, and there was nothing underneath them but the dirt ground. In which the bones were found – bigger than poultry bones but smaller than,say, a cow. I know, I know, you’re thinking “uh, kinda like human size, right?” But I don’t think so. My guess is something like a sheep or goat. So, if disturbing the bones brings on a haunting, we will likely be hearing spooky hoofs and bleating all night.
I think I’ve mentioned before, how the front of the house was built first, then the back “lean-to” (the part falling down and now rebuilt), which would mean the proper kitchen and room above it were built most recently. So I think the dirt where we found the bones was probably an animal space outside at some point. And since whomever built this section just started building on top of the dirt, nobody would have unearthed them. Or, it could be that the initial building of the kitchen was a sinister plot to hide the bones! But probably not.
In other news, we are still getting all of the plumbing and electric completed for both the new and old sections of the house. There was/is a lot to do, between reconfiguring the bathrooms and laundry room for plumbing, and wiring each new room, along with rewiring every existing room for residential lighting instead of the school fluorescents. Once these things are completed, we can insulate and put up the drywall/plaster. Then there’s painting, after which we can do the floors. Then we can put cabinets/appliances/countertop in the kitchen. Then it’s pretty much done! That’s it, just a handful of items on the list. Totally simple, no big deal, easy peasy. Ha.
Oh, I forgot to mention the roof too. We weren’t really planning on tackling that yet but we realized the wood beams underneath the roof were rotting, so this is now in the process of being gently rebuilt and then the new roof will go on. A few mouse families were also evicted from up there. Gain some bees, lose some mice, that’s how we roll these days.